Friday, November 30, 2012

 FATHER-DAUGHTER DATE TO 
COLUMBUS,MS. AFB.....BACK TO THE BEGINNING!!
My Dad called me up and wanted to know if I would accompany him to a pilot graduation down at Columbus Air Force Base.  Of course I said yes!!!  I hadn't been back there since the day we pulled away almost 30 years ago.  It was amazing how fast the memories came back to me.  My parents really enjoyed their time there, and I can see how. I fell in love with the simplicity of it all.  
 We were there to celebrate my Dad's friend & fellow coworkers son (Tony's) graduation.  We started the day with breakfast at the Officers Club, a short tutorial on the air force and then headed to the pilots graduation.  It was short and sweet and perfectly patriotic.  I love that stuff.  It's hard to hold back the tears when you can feel the patriotic spirit so strongly.  I was happy for Tony and could tell his dad and mine were too.
 After graduation Tony made it possible for us to head out to the flight line to watch the jets land and then we got to take our own personal rides in the simulators.  I bombed my ride-all of my rides!!!!  I now know that Dave and my Dad put in hours to pass those sim tests.  
 We took our own personal pilgrimage---Here are some of the Antebellum homes of Columbus. 
 The "scare-ity police".  That's what we called the security guards when we were little.
 The Officers Club, my Dad's class patch and the "W" womens college.
 A replica of the home we lived in, the BX, the hospital where Aaron was born & the Commisary.
We ended the night off with a special dinner and program for the newly graduated pilots.  It was so fun to be part of Tony's special weekend and I had a great time spending a few days with my Dad. That NEVER happens!!!  It was a great little memory that I will hold dear.  Thanks Dad for letting me be your date!!!  I can tell that your passion for the Air Force is something you hold dear.

No comments: