Sunday, March 20, 2011

~ Spring Break 2010 in the Smokies~
Home to Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Dollywood, and lots of "Hillbillies"
We decided it was time to take the kiddos to Eastern Tennessee, so we booked our timeshare in Gatlinburg and started our road trip East. It was only a 6.5 hour drive which was pretty doable for a 6 month old and he did great-only one meltdown. Once we arrived we realized that Eastern TN was so different then Memphis....so beautiful!!!
There was so much to do in Gatlinburg. It's the cutest little town nestled up against the mountains, filled with Go-Karts, Miniature golf courses, lots of yummy food, shopping, and LOTS of crazy people watching. Remember the Smoky Mountains are part of the Appalachian Chain...so that pretty much tells you what the people watching was like....CRAZY!!!
So I of course had heard of The Appalachian Trail but I had no idea (or wasn't listening in History class that day) that you could just get on the trail and hike all the way to Maine. We saw a man there getting ready to make the journey....what an accomplishment. The picture below pretty much sums up why they're called the "Smoky Mountains".
So I've got to be honest when we were driving through the mountains my eyes were wide opened looking for Hillbillies (mountain people). I've heard so much about them that I was so into it, but unfortunately we didn't see any mountain dwellers. I guess they're a little more North in the mining towns. I'm so interested now though that I want to go to that part of the country too. Let's just say they lead such a simple life but yet such a strange (inbred) life that is so crazy to me :)
The family at Dolly Parton's DIXIE STAMPEDE
So we definitely had to throw some dollars down for the dinner show but it was so worth it. There was live entertainment with horses, Southern Belles, Union/Confederate soldiers, Buffalo, Magic, and so much more. The food was amazing too. Would you expect anything less from Dolly though!!
We really did have a good time in Dillenburger (Ryleigh thought it was called that the whole time, so we just let her believe it haha) . We're looking forward to visiting again soon.
Next visit we'd love to have some company, so come out and see us.







10 comments:

Shauna said...

So fun! I wish we had made that trip while we lived there. Looks like a great bunch of memories you all made together. And way to go Evan!

Lindsey said...

It looks like you guys had a great time! I wish we had real mountains close to us, I miss them! I can't believe how big Evan is already, I hope I get to meet the little guy before the Disney cruise, otherwise he'll be running around before I do. You all look great, and I'm glad you took advantage of Spring Break!

Grandma Shauna said...

You can sign me up on your list for the next visit. Looks like a fun place to check-out!

Amanda said...

Isn't it so cool to see what your State has to offer. I've lived in Utah nearly my whole life and haven't even begun to experience it all- like no sking, Zion's, etc. What a fun fun trip.

Mindy said...

It's so pretty! I had no idea Tennesee looked like that...but I guess every state has that. I had no idea Michigan was so beautiful until we moved here. I love little family trips like that...glad you had fun!

Stephers said...

That seriously looks like so much fun! Great pictures of your family too! Cannot believe the little guy was so great for the long drive... Way to go little buddy :)

Steven and Kristin said...

That brings back memories for me! We took a trip to Pigeon Forge when we lived back East. It looks like you had such a fun time together!

Anonymous said...

I love DOLLY! i would totally come down for a road trip. But I don't think all 4 in the car from here to TN would be awesome. How does meeting in St. George sound?

alpinekleins said...

What a fun time! Those girls are looking more and more and more like you every day :)

Kristin

Heidi said...

looks like fun... when did your family get so large? There's a whole bunch of you now!