Saturday, March 29, 2008

Allergies

HELP.....I can't take it any longer. Does anyone have a good allergy medication that they recommend? I'm a Mom so non-drowsy of course. I'm willing to try anything. Having the history that I do, I should have stayed clear away from Memphis- Capital of Allergies. This is the honest truth too. The pollen floats south down the Mississippi River and stops here in good old Memphis. Ahhhhh.......Choo!!! sniff, sniff, wipe, wipe.

7 comments:

Heather said...

Allergies are nasty in Memphis. So glad I'm not there this spring! I have a huge box of Alavert I should send you. I don't think I ever took it but I was going to give it a try. I tried Claritin (over the counter kind) but it didn't seem to do much for me. Sorry - I'm not much help. Purple dimetapp tastes yummy and helps the itching and runny nose stuff... but it always made me really drowsy.

Alyson and Greg Markham said...

There is something called a nasal irrigator. It works for Greg. You put salt in this thing and pour it through one nostril and then the water just comes out the other nostril. It sounds weird but it's really not that gross. I did it one time. I guess it breaks up whatever is in your sinuses and cleans you out. It burns the first few times but after that it's no big deal. It's just a matter of taking the time. His aunt swears by it and that's how Greg got one. Google it! Any other questions log on to nursealyson.blogspot.com...LOL!!!

Lindsey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lindsey said...

I deleted my post because I didn't read through it before I posted it and there were several mistakes.
I didn't have allergies until I got to Miami, and I'm miserable, because I can't take the good stuff now that I'm pregnant. Claritin works for me, but you have to take it every 12 hours so it stays in your system. When my allergies are really bad I would love to be able to take flonase it is a prescription nasal spray, the only problem is I think it might be a little pricey, I just got a sample. Your insurance should cover it, you'd have to look into it. To me it would worth the cost, because it let me breath through my nose. I also heard that you can get Zyrtec OTC now I've never used it, but I have some friends who get terrible allergies and it is the only thing that works for them.

JamieBean said...

My sister-in-law swears by something called a Netty Pot or Netty pop?? I'm not sure of the exact name, but I have seen them at Wal-mart by the pharmacy. It sounds just like what Alyson is referring to. She uses it for frequent sinus infections too...Anyway, it sounds like a great alternative to drugs and everybody I know that's tried it LOVES it..Good Luck! :)

natalie said...

What Jaime said. I told you about that a while ago and you obviously blew me off-LOL. When all else fails I like to hit the liqour store. Kidding everyone!

Alyson and Greg Markham said...

Before I forget...do you have some time you can make some hair bows for me? You might not before you leave for FL..My neighbor just had a baby and I need to get her a gift..call me after 9 or email me..
Gratzi!