Wednesday, January 2, 2008

STUCK IN MEXICO CITY

My view of Mexico City from the air. Of course I knew this city was huge, but I had no idea until I saw it with my own eyes.
WOW, I don't even know where to begin. Let's just say my trip to Mexico began with a nightmare, followed by a great time, followed by a bad dream. I'm a pretty laid back, easy going person. But I have to say this trip did me in. It all began with a flight into Mexico City and ended with lost baggage. As the kids and I (yes, me by myself) landed in Mexico City I knew it was going to be a little crazy but I didn't know that a 3 hour layover wasn't going to turn out to be enough time to get us through customs.. To make a long story short the kids (who were such troopers) and I got stuck in this over populated city, stayed at a foreign hotel, cried a few tears (okay so I balled like a baby to Dave and my parents), and spoke more Spanglish than I ever had. After about 4 hours of wandering aimlessly in the airport I met a very kind man who walked me through my problems and got us on a flight the following morning to Ixtapa. Once we got to Ixtapa things were great. THAT POST IS YET TO COME. The flight home ended up giving me more headaches though. We were beating the time, doing pretty well with connections (3 I had), until we got to Chicago where there were delays. We got on our flight 3 hours later but got to Memphis only to find out our bags didn't come with us. So we're home safe and sound but missing baggage. We did have a good time, but I did learn a few lessons. NEVER fly by myself for that long again, NEVER rely on the airlines (sorry Dad), and last NEVER EVER EVER connect in a city with 22 million people. I guess my final thought for this trip, at least the traveling part, would be GOD BLESS AMERICA!

4 comments:

Stephers said...

Oh my ordeal! You are brave to have done that all alone with the kids! You should get the official title of SUPER MOM :) I have to say I am jealous that you got to spend Christmas in MEXICO!!!! This sounds like one for the record books.

Anonymous said...

What a nightmare! I am glad you are home safe, I can’t imagine flying alone with kids out of the country. You are very brave plus good job with using your Spanish! I am very impressed. Have you had much of an opportunity to use it since high school? Can’t wait to hear about your time in Mexico!

lacey said...

Nicole- I can't tell you how I could FEEL you on this. And, I only traveled with 1 through the Caribbean I could have NEVER EVER done it with more. It always took at least 24 hours and ALWAYS always luggage and custom issues and I never understood what the heck was being said and I could not believe I was old enough to be traveling on my own like that. I would always think "Uhm, I don't think I should do this without some parental supervision." But I did, time and again. And it was miserable. But, I loved those islands! Your trip looks fantastic!

Heather said...

What a wild time. I think I would have cried too. I'm glad you survived and were safe and that you have a fun time with your family in Mexico.